Re: [LUG] Nice little Linux based media player device

tom wrote:
> Gordon Henderson wrote:

>>> Na - no more crippled computers for me - I'm waiting for a pocket
>>> sized netbook that can the lot. Oh for a modern psion ....
>>
>> You'll never get a one-size-fits-all solution that's efficient, cheap
>> and fast.

> Haven't got that many pockets.

Unless you interpret the above as,  each unix command does 1 thing,  but
it does it really well, with lots of parameters,  add that to lots of
unix commands, each of which do 1 thing, but again with lots of
parameters, and the ability to pipe output / input around, you end up
with a powerful system.

But yeah,  if you had a reader that just did one thing, it would be
great, i have seen electronic e-book readers, but they seem expensive,
need batteries,  probably not good for people who like to soak in the
bath with a good book,

> I must admit I misread what this machine is:
> "For less than £60, the Hisense is an effective way of getting your
> digital media files onto you telly without having to hook up your PC"
> except you have to have a PC to connect it to to get the media - and I
> may as well have the PC* to do the displaying anyway so its a redundant
> box already.
>>
>>> I'm also trying to start a campaign up for an e-reader screen - no
>>> more crippled computers here just a bluetooth (hoch spit)  or similar
>>> e-ink screen I can use to read stuff and connect it to my
>>> laptop/netbook/phone etc.
>>> Remember the days when people sold you things you needed and not what
>>> they wanted to plug into your bank account with...
>>
>> Make it as a project on the dc-hardware list ;-) Biggest problem is
>> getting the material in a suitable format to start with. (i.e.
>> electronically readable as text not images) Even PDF is too clumsy for
>> a book IMO
> PDF is useful for nothing.
>> . All you need is a trivial markup language and a nice display...
> Now where can we find that?
> Tom te tom te tom

So what you need is say a a5 screen for example with a processor behind,
 that runs say linux and a server / web browser,  so it can display html.

Paul

- --
Paul Sutton
www.zleap.net

Ubuntu 9.10 is out : Visit www.ubuntu.com for details
Next Lug meet - Saturday 7th November 2009