Re: [LUG] really slow booting

Michael Mortimore wrote:

Any other ideas? All I can think of at the moment is to write to ASRock and see if they have a magic way to force ata100.

I'd have thought forcing ATA100 would be in the Linux driver rather than anything on the BIOS. Doing a search on Google I found an option for libata. It was an option which needs adding to the file /etc/modprobe.d/options (at least on Fedora, maybe /etc/modules on Ubuntu):

options libata force=UDMA/100

It then suggests to rebuild your initrd.

I also found something which said adding:

libata.force=UDMA/100

to the end of the kernel parameters will also force the IDE controller to ATA/100 mode.

You could also try

libata.force=80c

as a kernel boot parameter too.

Hope this helps.