Re: [LUG] really slow booting

On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 21:39:37 -0000, Michael Mortimore <nospamformike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Can you try the disk in another machine to establish if the problem
follows the disk or is just this machine?
I put it back into the machine i stole it from and it's not detected at all, in neither in the on board ports nor the controller card. Note though that i was having trouble with it before, which is why I got the new one. I put the 40gig drive back into the old comp and that boots up fine, so at least it seems that the ide controllers on the old one are still good. I also tried the 250gig drive in a USB caddy and it was detected fine and it booted up fine up until it kernel panicced from not being able to find the root partition. (I think I compiled usb mass storage as a module). All this happened at a normal speed.
The plot thickens! I plugged in the 40gig drive as a slave so I could get some data off it and magically the computer boots from the 250gig drive nice and fast. remove the 40gig drive and it's slow again. reconnect 40gig drive and it's fast again.

So I have a fix of sorts, though it does mean I'm not able to use my CD drive since there's only 1 IDE port.

I don't know if that's a clue or if it just confuses matters further. It's certainly confused me.