Re: [LUG] Grub2 / grub update

Henry Bremridge wrote:
> For some reason I updated my grub to grub2 and ran the command
> "upgrade-from-grub-legacy". The problem was then I was asked to confirm
> that I wanted (I think grub installed on /dev/hda1) and I just hit enter
> rather than selecting /dev/hda1
>
> Anyway I am currently back in my system using systemrescueCd for now
>
> Question
>
> 1/ does anyone have an idea how to go back to grub from grub2? (From what
> I have seen on Google, this appears to be unwise but ...)

I wouldn't bother.

> 2/ Does anyone have any idea how I can move forward. I have been looking
> at http://grub.enbug.org/Grub2LiveCdInstallGuide and the clause that I do
> not like is the following under Step 3
> "Make sure you edit the /etc/default/grub file (only if you know what you
> are doing!) "

Usually the easiest solution to grub loader issues like this is to boot
from a CD mount all the relevant partitions in a folder (/mnt/root) so
the paths will be correct when you chroot to it, then chroot ( chroot
/mnt/root /bin/bash).

Then you can use the usual tools, or commands to straighten it out.

In the old grub this was "install-grub" but I can't find the box I stuck
grub2 on to check if it changed.

 Simon