Re: [LUG] Acer Aspire One - Dead, but fixable ...

On Fri, 23 Oct 2009, Rob Beard wrote:

The power connector on the motherboard has broken - the bit which holds the central pin is the broken part, so some superglue and solder will fix it back, hopefully.

I'm always worried about this happening to my Acer, almost as much as my youngest breaking the screen (she's got a habit of picking up my laptop, sitting it on her lap and either bashing it or dropping it off the sofa).

I suspect this has been dropped with the power lead connected. Apple are onto a good thing with their magnetic connector. Wish the rest of the laptop industry had thought of that 15 years ago. (I have another laptop which did something similar many years back - I ended up soldering a pair of wires onto the motherboard and taking them out of the case to an in-line plug/socket arrangement - ugly, but functional)

Gordon