Re: [LUG] Acer Aspire One - Dead, but fixable ...

On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 08:19:27 +0100 (BST)
Gordon Henderson wrote:

> My AAO died the other day - a mechanical issue to do with the power
> connector - so it works, but I can't plug in the power lead to charge
> it!
>
> Have taken it to bits - followed some video I found on the interweb
> and it's now in several large bits and lots of small screws... The
> clever bit was using a credit card to pop the case apart rather than
> lever it with a big screwdriver - doesn't leave any marks that way!
>
> One discovery - there is a SODIM socket under the motherboard - I can
> upgrade the RAM from 512MB to a GB or so, and I may well do that,
> although that would mean waiting until Monday to get the bit.. Hmmm..
> According to the video I watched, it's also possible to fit an
> internal bluetooth module, but I've never really needed that, so will
> give it a miss. There is also space on the motherboard for a sim-card
> reader and a GSM device with a slot in the back behind the battery to
> push the SIM card through - internal mobile-data laptop, anyone?
>
> The power connector on the motherboard has broken - the bit which
> holds the central pin is the broken part, so some superglue and
> solder will fix it back, hopefully.
>
> The video I watched to help me take it to bits is from this article:
>
> http://tnkgrl.wordpress.com/2008/08/14/modding-the-acer-aspire-one-bluetooth/
>
> Gordon

I had to dismantle a Samsung NC-10 t'other day to install a touchscreen
module.  This already has mini-PCIE WiFi module and 'onboard'
(presumably USB-based) Bluetooth but also had an extra space marked
"HSDPA".  No module but the solder points were there and it looked
suspiciously like a mini-PCIE.

As an aside, the instructions for installing the touchscreen module
were entertaining... rather than providing instructions in a PDF file
or MSWord document or anything they took a screendump of a website and
simply put the GIF image on CD.