Re: [LUG] lost history

On Wed, 21 Oct 2009, james kilty wrote:

Hello

I notice in man history that there is a line saying
void unstifle_history (void)

Clutching at straws, might this be any good to try - if so, what is void
(with and without brackets)?

It's a C function/library. This is nothing to do with the shell history, although bash probably uses this internally. It's designed to be ued by C programs to let them maintain 'history' for user input.

void at the start means it returns nothing - a void, and (void) means it takes nothing as parameters.

Curiously enough the definition I have is:

  int unstifle_history (void)

which means it returns an int(eger).

Still hoping.

To recover bash history? If you can't see if via the 'history' command, it's gone.. (I don't use bash, so don't know how it controls it's history) What was it you were trying to do?

Gordon