Re: [LUG] Software RAID-1 on USB drives

On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 12:17:37 +0100 (BST)
Gordon Henderson wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Oct 2009, Grant Sewell wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 10:43:44 +0100 (BST)
> > Gordon Henderson wrote:

> >> OK... Now, I know little of VMware, and it's like. but couldn't the
> >> VMWare host be the one running samba, and it mount the USB drives -
> >> with the windows VM seeing the samba share via the "network"
> >> connection between the VM and the host?
> >
> > That would be very nice, but not an option (yet).  VMWare ESXi is
> > just like ESX, except that they seem to have taken out the majority
> > of the useful features.  It is essentially a hypervisor without a
> > proper controlling system.  I have enabled SSH access to it so I
> > can see what's going on and modify what I need to, but it is very
> > limited.
> >
> > When a USB drive is plugged in, it registers as a device fine... but
> > there's no way to mount the filesystem on there.  There is no
> > in-built SAMBA and, call me lazy if you like, I don't particularly
> > want to spend a vast amount of time trying to get SAMBA to compile
> > on another machine so I can transfer it over to the ESXi Hypervisor
> > system so I can share devices which I can't access anyway.
>
> Er, OK. So you're running SBS in a VMWare thingy which is running
> on-top of Linux, running on x86 hardware.

No.  I am running SBS in a virtual machine on VMWare ESXi.  VMWare ESXi
runs on the bare metal - it is not an "application" like VirtualBox.

> Why aren't you running SBS natively on the hardware without the Linux
> bit in the middle?

There is no Linux bit in the middle, and the reason I am running SBS
in a virtual machine is so I can also have a Linux virtual machine
running along side it.  Much and all as I *love* Windows, I'd rather
trust as much as I can to the Linux virtual machine. :D

> I'm sure there's a good reason though... (e.g. running more than one
> SBS server and saving hardware?)
>
> Gordon

ESXi *officially* is not a Linux system.  This can be confusing since
ESX (note it lacks the lowercase i) has a hypervisor (the same as ESXi)
but also a RedHat based "management" system.  ESXi lacks this
"management" system.  The ESXi system seems to look very much like a
Linux system, same files in the same place, executables being listed as
Linux ELF binaries, etc, but word from VMWare is that it is *not* a
Linux system.  *ahem*

ESXi Hypervisor can have SSH enabled (which I have done).  Watching the
equivalent of "dmesg" when plugging in the USB drive is quite
revealing.  It recognises that it's a USB storage device but offers no
way to mount the filesystem - even when you use the native tools to
create an VMFS on there, it still won't mount it.  Nor is there the
ability to directly pass a USB device to a guest system.

Grant.