From: Rob Beard

Sent: 10/20/09 09:53 pm

To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Subject: [LUG] Debian 5 Network install, boot from floppy

Hi folks,

I'm in the process of sorting out an old laptop for a friend. It's a
few years old and the DVD drive doesn't work on it. It also doesn't
support booting from USB and the network adaptor is a Xircom PCMCIA card
which isn't supported by either Etherboot or gPXE.

Now I'm a bit stuck. I can boot from floppy no problem, I've even tried
booting Grub which works, but then Grub (at least Grub version 1)
doesn't see the USB stick I have attached to the machine (I figured if I
can boot grub, I can then boot the kernel from a USB stick). That
however doesn't work.

I've done a bit of searching and found that Debian 4 has a couple of
floppy boot images, I wondered though if there was anything for Debian
5? (I'd rather not install Debian 4 then Debian 5 over the top of it).

Ta,

Rob