Re: [LUG] lost shell history

On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 8:39 PM, james kilty wrote:
> I seem  to have a shell history of 3 entriesonly. It used to be a LOT
> longer and a very useful resource as I'll have to work everything out
> again without it.

Did you have more than one shell window open? I have never figured out
how/which history is saved when you have two (or seventeen) shell
windows open at once and while I don't think this is the cause of the
problem, it might have something to do with it.

(If you use history a lot, like I do -- mostly ![first characters of
command I need] --, it's probably best to let a cron job write it to a
file every day. Or, even better, make an alias for all the longer
commands you might want to use again.)

Martijn.