Re: [LUG] Does anyone know where I can buy a nuclear bunker?

Steph Foster wrote:

> I thought IPv6 was about enlarginging the address space.

IPv6 was intended to solve a number of issues including address space,
transport layer security, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6

> A lot of the protocols in the TCP suite could do with updating to
> minimise the misuses by crackers.

Not sure which you have in mind here. Even for IPv4 the only thing that
leaps out to me as needing enhancing is DNS, and that is technically an
application, and the US government already mandate use of DNSSEC for
their internal use.

SMTP is abused by spammers but that hopefully isn't an issue for
military networks, they can simply mandate TLS or similar, and
authenticate the nodes that need to communicate via certificates.

> After all TCP/IP was never designed for Joe Public use so I guess they
> never bothered to look at the security aspects

Given IPv4 was designed by DARPA for military use I'd be surprised if
security wasn't a consideration.

I believe the primary goal for IP was automated routing around damaged
portions, but also the assumption that some nodes would turn rogue (when
those units were captured) was part of the original specification.

IPv4 leaves a lot of tasks to the application layer, such as encryption,
 but there are some good arguments that this may be the way to go in
terms of flexibility and future proofing.

Have to say my reaction was very like that of others who said "sounds
like IPv6".

I'm also curious why Microsoft, as I'm not aware they have any
particular experience in network protocols to speak of (unless we
include the mess they have made for Office networking). Presumably one
of those that went to the lowest bidder or some such, although it is
possible Microsoft has bought some company that does have experience of
this sort of thing.