Re: [LUG] Does anyone know where I can buy a nuclear bunker?

On Sat, 17 Oct 2009, Rob Beard wrote:

This is why...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/10/16/darpa_microsoft_reinvent_internet/

"New network threats and attacks require revolutionary protection concepts,"

Well, that's easy - just don't connect it to the public Internet then!!!

I have worked in secure places - they took great care to make sure there was an air gap between copper network cables - they were loving fibre optic though as they could be in the same duct. Connection to the public Internet was simply not physically possible. Telephones in open areas had the microphone (for hands-free mode) physically damaged and visible, armed guards everywhere, etc. What happened to all that then? People got lazy and complacent, I reckon. Then microsoft came on.. (this was early-mid 90's)

Gordon