Re: [LUG] OT: VM Fibre to the cabinet trial in Saltash

Rob Beard wrote:
Dave Foxcroft wrote:
Rob Beard wrote:

According to the article they are using a company called Vtesse Networks.

I do wonder if these trials are successful if Virgin will roll it out to areas inbetween their cable networks. In Devon for instance off the top of my head I'm thinking Teignmouth, Dawlish and maybe Starcross. I guess it all depends on the cost to install the fibre and equipment and if they would actually make they money back. Presumably though they'd be able to offer Phone, TV and Broadband over the phone line which may make it more cost effective?

Rob

Yeah I saw Vtesse Networks were involved... but I'm not sure if they actually carry out fibre install or use third parties etc.

I've no idea about the areas you listed but if they are covered by VN then there has to be fibre, their system depend on it!.. I used to install Telco,CATV & Fibre for Telewest whilst working as a contractor - covering Plymouth, Exeter and Torbay.

Laying any cable is expensive, recouping the cost depends on the number factors, one being the number of subscribers over a given area.. probably why you don't see cable, fibre etc being laid in rural areas - they simply won't recoup the cost - I've been to places in Plymouth that aren't covered by VM where potential customers have been turned away because it would cost too much to pull in the cable and we are not talking miles but 100's of metres from the nearest 'cab' - it's not just the cable but duct work, terrain,regulations, opposition etc that either adds to the cost or makes installation inpraticle/impossible.

So I guess it's all a bit of a lottery - if there is money to be made or some other benefit to be had from it then it may go ahead..... or it may not

Dave

Yeah I could understand that. In Teignmouth which is between Newton Abbot and Exeter, Eurobell just missed it out. I guess there was existing fibre or they added some from Exeter to Newton Abbot and then on to Torbay etc.

By the sounds of it though, if they are looking at VDSL, then maybe when BT eventually start offering VDSL to LLU providers, maybe Virgin could make use of that, a bit like they are starting to do with ADSL in some areas using Cable & Wireless LLU services. Not majorly fussed myself though as I have Virgin cable where I am which is just as well as even if I wanted Sky, I can't get a signal (well not at the moment anyway).

Rob

I recall pulling in several cables from Exter to Newton Abbot and from New Abbot to Torqauy but these were part of Devon CC Evolved Ethernet project which provides a government backed Broadband service to schools, libraries and other council run places - I don't think Joe Public would get access to these.

Most of the big players are trialing FTTC/FTTN and as ADSL doesn't work over fibre(fiber) it looks like VDSL is going to be the next big thing for residential/SOHO users - SDSL is just too damn expensive!

It should be easier/cheaper for cable companies like Virgin Media to deliver these faster services than for more traditional telco's like BT as they already have a lot of fiber infrastructure at street level - BT might be working on it's 21CN Network but they don't seem to be any nearer to delivering fiber to the customer than they were a couple of years ago - replacing all that ageing copper/aluminium 'spiders web' with fiber is expensive and if they can get away with flogging slower ADSL for as long as possible then I can't see 21CN being rolled out for a while yet.

IMHO if it is going to happen then it will be the cable companies that will lead the way.

Dave