Re: [LUG] OT: VM Fibre to the cabinet trial in Saltash

Rob Beard wrote:

According to the article they are using a company called Vtesse Networks.

I do wonder if these trials are successful if Virgin will roll it out to areas inbetween their cable networks. In Devon for instance off the top of my head I'm thinking Teignmouth, Dawlish and maybe Starcross. I guess it all depends on the cost to install the fibre and equipment and if they would actually make they money back. Presumably though they'd be able to offer Phone, TV and Broadband over the phone line which may make it more cost effective?

Rob

Yeah I saw Vtesse Networks were involved... but I'm not sure if they actually carry out fibre install or use third parties etc.

I've no idea about the areas you listed but if they are covered by VN then there has to be fibre, their system depend on it!.. I used to install Telco,CATV & Fibre for Telewest whilst working as a contractor - covering Plymouth, Exeter and Torbay.

Laying any cable is expensive, recouping the cost depends on the number factors, one being the number of subscribers over a given area.. probably why you don't see cable, fibre etc being laid in rural areas - they simply won't recoup the cost - I've been to places in Plymouth that aren't covered by VM where potential customers have been turned away because it would cost too much to pull in the cable and we are not talking miles but 100's of metres from the nearest 'cab' - it's not just the cable but duct work, terrain,regulations, opposition etc that either adds to the cost or makes installation inpraticle/impossible.

So I guess it's all a bit of a lottery - if there is money to be made or some other benefit to be had from it then it may go ahead..... or it may not

Dave