Re: [LUG] setting up a mailing list

On Wed, 7 Oct 2009, dave wrote:

I need to set up a couple of mailing lists. What would people recommend? I have access to a linux server, but not root access. I would like people to be able to opt themselves in / out, but would like to limit membership to one list by invite only.

Is mailman the best option?

I know lots about email and majordomo, but little about mailman.

I suspect you'll still need root access to setup the aliases to send email into the list in the first instance, but if you can hijack an existing email address (via a .forward file or .procmailrc ?) then you may be able to do it without root.

majordomo provides the facilities you need - invite-only is handled by closing the list, and manually editing the file of email addresses. I'd expect mailman to have these faicilities too - although I think a lot of it is web based.

Gordon