Re: [LUG] Filing HMRC Tax Returns using Linux?

Henry Bremridge wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 01, 2009 at 12:13:56AM +0100, Eion MacDonald wrote:
>
>> UK Government is not yet 'joined up' even inside its own operations
>> never mind Open Source software. (VAT to HMRC and NIC  and PAYE all
>> give different  stuff in different ways and (Horror!)VATman demands
>> a hard signed copy  of his monthly/quarterly returns - says
>> electronic submission is not adequate!
>
> You may be interested in:
> http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/drafts/vat_regs.htm
>
> "online filing of VAT returns and electronic payment of VAT, required
> for existing businesses with an annual turnover of £100,000 or
> more for accounting periods starting on or after 1 April 2010"

Would that I had a turnover of over £100,000.--!
Also "VAT 100" must be signed!
They have major problems in that they send me a hard copy to fill in and
require "manually insert a signature"
Reasons, similar to the submission of export control documents for dual
use materials - even though all "data" is electronic in transmission
they want a manually signed copy, as they need that for any subsequent
court case for criminal action if incorrect exporting of weapons or tax
avoidance!
(I send "explosives" to Sudan etc!)
--
Regards