Re: [LUG] Filing HMRC Tax Returns using Linux?

Henry Bremridge wrote:
On Thu, Oct 01, 2009 at 12:13:56AM +0100, Eion MacDonald wrote:
UK Government is not yet 'joined up' even inside its own operations
never mind Open Source software. (VAT to HMRC and NIC  and PAYE all
give different  stuff in different ways and (Horror!)VATman demands
a hard signed copy  of his monthly/quarterly returns - says
electronic submission is not adequate!

You may be interested in:
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/drafts/vat_regs.htm

"online filing of VAT returns and electronic payment of VAT, required
for existing businesses with an annual turnover of £100,000 or
more for accounting periods starting on or after 1 April 2010"

As a programmer I find the total lack of synergy in all gvmt IT very telling. Every time the chancellor changes the rules they should release a set of specs that we can simply plug into our accounting packages and more or less job done. Thats same set of specs could easily be thrown at their 'model' economy to see the true of their actions so we dont get this 10% tax band farce BEFORE the budget. My accountant costs more than my tax bill - simply cos he knows what could be simply written as an XML or jason ruleset that I could wave at my accounts and do 95% of his work!
Tom te tom te tom