Re: [LUG] Live Distros for file recovery from XP/Vista down/upgrade

On Tue, 2009-09-22 at 09:43 +0100, Richard Brown wrote:
> Hi Guys
>
> Thanks for all the help with the network issue. Sorry I haven't got
> back to folks yet, I have only just got over a rather heavy cold.
>
> In the meantime, I need to try to recover files from a xp/vista
> down/upgrade that went wrong. I'm told the files are still there just
> not viewable and that a Linux distro will be able to recover them
> quite easily. So which distro and where do I download it from please?
>
> Thanks.
> --
> Kind regards
> Rich
> http://www.cregy.co.uk
> Embracing what God does for you is the best thing you can do for him.
> Romans 12 v 1

if you have "shut down with a flaky ntfs disk I think Gparted or
whatever you use will not mount or read the disk label
It will tell you to run back in windows and Do fixmbr chkdsk and or
scandisk then retry.

Regards

Kevin Lucas
Minions Post Master(Sub) reprieved repressed(possibly!Definitely!)
Po House, Minions,
Liskeard Cornwall
PL14 5LE
01579363386