Re: [LUG] Distros by the dozen

On Tuesday 22 September 2009, Rob Beard wrote:
> george parker wrote:
> > I had a computer go down recently so managed to get planning permission
> > for new bits.  I got an Athlon II 3600 with DDR3 RAM, new mother board
> > and a nice big disc.  I had some minor problems (only 1 ps2 socket so had
> > to buy a USB mouse) but then came the hard work.
>
> Sounds like a nice system, I'm contemplating upgrading to an Athlon II
> X4 (being an AMD reseller they've offered me a chip for 45 euros which
> seems like a steel).
>
> > I installed my usual Mepis distro.... which didn't work!  I tried
> > PCLinuxOS, and Linux Mint, all of which didn't work, which in the end
> > turned out to be a problem with the distros handling the Raydeon ATA
> > graphics embedded in the motherboard.  I installed a spare Nvidea
> > graphics card and my problems were over.  I guess I knew about ATA
> > problems before but I didn't give it a thought as they hadn't been my
> > problems.  I think there is going to be support for Raydeon in version 30
> > of the kernel and I will give it another try then meanwhile a couple of
> > things from this excercise may be useful.
>
> I have found in some cases that some distros may lack support for
> specific new hardware devices.  Generally I've found that with hard disk
> controllers.  I've also found that some of the newer ATI video cards
> generally need the official proprietary ATI drivers.  Actually, I've
> found that is the case with NVidia graphics cards too.
>
> > The Mepis distro is essentially a 1 man band, a guy called Warren
> > Woodford. It has given me good service over the years but he now seems to
> > be more interested in turning the distro into a business and with the
> > result that service for personnal use is getting decidedly flakey.  I
> > have been contemplating a move for a while.
>
> Shame that, I've heard good things about Mepis, not tried it myself though.
>
> > I couldn't get the Mint distro to find my ethernet connection.  It seems
> > to hide the basic workings in the gui and I couldn't be bothered to hunt
> > them down.  I also am not an admirer of Ubuntu as a user (but contrarily
> > an admirer of Mark Shuttleworth). (Mint is Ubuntu derivative)
>
> Is there anything particular you don't like about Ubuntu?
>
> I think it's great, but then again I'm not keen on OpenSuSE or Fedora
> (although the latest Fedora looks nice).  Each to their own I guess :-)
>
> > I've installed PCLinuxOS for a friend and she's had it running happily
> > for a couple of years so I went with this.  Everything went smoothly and
> > I was able to setup my network easily from the gui (fixed addresses for
> > my 2 computers networked on NFS) so I may stick with it.  I'll see how
> > Unison and Virtual Box goes.
>
> I guess if it does the job and you like it, then stick with it :-)
>
> > If I hadn't had 2 computers so that I could get info I would have been
> > stuffed.  Don't knock it when some poor sod with Windows on his only
> > computer can't get Linux working.

> [...]

I did make a living for a while servicing business PC's, a bit of hardware, a
bit of software, but that was when a good PC was a 286 and a 386 was cutting
edge, and pre Windows, ALL Dos command line.  Unfortunately I never got into
Unix so the first Linux I tried was Suse about version 6.  Even though I was
fairly sure what I was doing I didn't take up the challenge and throw out
Windows until about 2006.

I have tried Debian but never got it working to my satisfaction.  I looked at
red hat but not recently.  I think Novell have sold out Suse.  I looked very
seriously at Ubuntu but I hate not having root and user and I don't like
Gnome.  I quite like Kubuntu and Edubuntu and I liked Mint.  I have got very
fond of Mepis and it is still distro of choice on one computer.  I'm going to
see how things go with PCLinux on one and Mepis on the other.  I also always
have a copy of Puppy or something similar around for troubleshooting.

I want to try Gentoo, Slackware, Debian again, Mandriva proper, Sabayon and
Gobo (that is the one with the sensibly named file system isn't it?) but life
is short with a million exciting things to do, even in Brixham.  I've even
only managed one monthly meeting.  I'm off to France tomorrow for as many
bottles of wine as I can cram into the car (about 300 last time) so the rest
of this week may get a bit hazy.  I may recover for the 3rd of October meet.

George