Re: [LUG] Distros by the dozen

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009, george parker wrote:

OK, OK, I could have installed Debian and closeted myself away for a month to
get it working, but perhaps next week, eh?

Why do you think this?

Seriously, with Debian Lenny, you ought to be up and running in half an hour.

(Although I have used Debian on my desktop since the year dot...)

Pitfalls - and I think these are for most distributions; The default kernel not finding your hardware - Because Debian lags other distros it sometimes has an older kernel which doesn't recognise everything. This used to be a major PITA for me with older Debians and Dell hardware although I've not had an issue for a while.

I think Lenny is on 2.6.26 at present - so maybe do a compatability check there.

I may not make it to the next meet, but if I can make it, I'll bring a Lenny install CD.

Gordon