[LUG] you get whatt you pay for.....

Hi All

Anyone know anything about supanames servers being targetted by some *misguided souls*

There seems to be a number of websites that have been defaced with the usual *owned by.......* (and sadly the image they put up is very penguin-like!!!)

All the index.html / index.php files have been changed to advertise their presence and interestingly the CGI BIN has been cleared preventing access to supanames control panel - thus preventing the website owner from changing passwords. I'm not sure if this is the work of the miscreants or supanames trying to prevent further cgi exploits or just covering the fact that this is how they got in... no log files etc.

A lot of the websites hosted on their servers are probably private individuals or non profit groups for whom cheap hosting appeals and whose owners have limited skills when it comes to security etc.

Who knows how many have been affected - the supanames support site simply says ' a number of users......'

If anyone is with them (or knows someone who is) I suggest you check your/their site

Dave