Re: [LUG] Veblen goods and Open Source software

On Sat, Sep 05, 2009 at 10:28:11PM +0100, Simon Waters wrote:
> Henry Bremridge wrote:
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veblen_good
> >
> > In economics, Veblen goods are a theoretical group of commodities for
> > which peoples' preference for buying them increases as a direct function
> > of their price, instead of decreasing according to the law of demand.
>
> It is okay Henry, Open Source (and free!) software has this one covered.
>
> I will provide you with "Premium GNU/Linux", whilst backwardly
> compatible with ordinary Debian GNU/Linux, this version is supplied and
> installed on site by a well dressed consultant who arrives in a smart
> sports car, and takes you out to a stylish Café for a Latte.
>
> This will make you look cool to your friends, colleagues, and relatives.
>
> Installation starts from a mere £1000 GBP plus expenses (which may
> include car and suit hire, dental and hair styling expenses, if you have
> to ask for a limit on the expense budget you can't afford Premium
> GNU/Linux).

Yesterday at the meeting was whingeing about why public bodies do not
want to save money and improve efficiency (and by improving skills and
productivity help improve the GDP.)

The only answer I can think of is that proprietory software is a veblen
good. If "managers" are sold by people in smart suits that their
software is incredibly good and very expensive; then they will not look
at better free software.

So the Premium GNU / Linux should be sold for at least £10,000 for the
"business version" on the grounds of:
- Improved virus protection
- Incredibly stable with no possibility of users playing games on work
  computers.
- Full control of update of key software
- Runs latest XML software for word processing

:)

--
Henry
Photocopies or faxes of my signature are not binding.