Re: [LUG] get_iplayer was http://xkcd.com/

tom wrote:

> I find the trouble with get_iplayer is I download the whole thing. With
> Iplayer I watch a couple of minutes before realising its not worth the
> effort or then setting get_iplayer running and not having time to watch
> it...
> Tom te tom te tom

In theory you should be able to start watching the stream with mplayer
while it's downloading, at least I could with the flash streams I obtained.

I'm starting to think Flash is the sporn of evil though.  A client of
mine (local radio station) has switched from their Windows Media Encoder
streaming to Flash streaming.  Before it was possible to feed the URL
for the Windows Media stream into mplayer, gstreamer, Windows Media
player or a Windows based mobile and it would play, now though the Flash
stream doesn't seem to be playable apart from in the damn browser (it
won't play on a mobile).  What is annoying me is the fact that they have
been badgering me about sorting it out when I don't even deal with the
web site!

/rant over.

I did however find that using flvstreamer (a component of get_iplayer) I
was able to capture a minute of the stream, redirect the output from
stdin to a file and play it in mplayer.  Sods law though it only streams
for a minute and then fails.

Ahh the joys of technology.  What's wrong with just listening to the
radio with a radio!?!

Rob