Re: [LUG] 64 bit Linux.

Paul Sutton wrote:

> JOHN DAVEY wrote:
>
>> OK, I find myself with a 64 bit motherboard. What's the general
>> consensus on  the best distro for 64 bit here?
>>    I have googled it but most of the links were to forums with fairly
>> uninformative discussions.
>> Cheers, Jon.
>>

> You can get ubuntu for 64 bit, as well as other distributions i think
> the software available is the same
>
> I think you hit issues with propriatory software.
>
> Paul

A lot of the big distros I've seen (Debian, Fedora, SuSE, Mandriva,
Ubuntu) have 64-Bit versions.  As you say though there are issues with
some proprietary software although a 32-Bit chroot can get around this
usually.  I guess eventually it's going to get to the point that as PCs
have so much memory the 64-Bit versions will be better supported.  It
always makes me laugh that PCs and laptops are now advertised with a
whopping 3GB memory, usually I'd say only because the companies don't
want the hassle of supporting 64-Bit Windows and they don't want to be
caught out with the fact that 32-Bit Windows Vista Home won't support
4GB (it displays 4GB, but only uses about 3.25GB).

IMHO Windows x64 isn't as well supported as 32-Bit Windows (yes, 32-Bit
software will run on Vista x64 and XP x64 but things like video and
audio codecs are badly supported in some cases).  Not so much of a
problem when you're running a server but I'd say for a desktop system
I'd say overall the 64-Bit support on Linux is much better than Windows.

That reminds me, I must get round to wiping off Vista x64 off my laptop,
the 60 odd gig I allocated for Windows could be put to much better use
(more space for /home).

Rob