Re: [LUG] 64 bit Linux.

JOHN DAVEY wrote:
> OK, I find myself with a 64 bit motherboard. What's the general
> consensus on  the best distro for 64 bit here?
>    I have googled it but most of the links were to forums with fairly
> uninformative discussions.
> Cheers, Jon.

Take it you have a 64-Bit processor too?

I've only used the 64- Bit version of Ubuntu and found it works well,
although saying that even with 4GB Ram and a 64-Bit processor I now run
the 32-Bit version of Ubuntu Desktop with the server kernel as I found
support for 32-Bit to be that slight bit easier (although you can run a
32-Bit chroot for 32-bit proprietary stuff like Flash).

Personally though I'd say if you have under 4GB Ram then you may as well
stick with the 32-Bit version (I never really found the 64-Bit version
to be any faster than the 32-Bit version).

Rob