Re: [LUG] waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

On Fri, 31 Jul 2009, tom wrote:

My isp (ITSOS in Barnstaple) has just informed me that they will no
longer be providing BB services and cutting me off at end of month!
Whos good round here?

You have a choice of over 100 ISPs who use the BT Wholesale network, and possibly some LLU ISPs (Although in rural Devon, I suspect not)

Hard for me to say who's good because I resell ADSL for a well know wholesaler, so may appear biased, but what's your budget? Looking for cheap and cheerfull, or more businessy? And do you know your monthly transfer amounts?

The more professional ones might include Zen, AAISP, Plusnet (some of their packages), and Entanet. Cheap and cheerful may include Plusnet (again), er... Really not sure as it's not an area I spend much time in.

A basic entanet service with 30GB/month cap is £18.95 (inc. vat) 3GB is £15.95, but there are much cheaper deals to be had at that level of data caps - you just need to shop around, or better still ask for recomendations.

Do listen to others though - read forums on thinkbroadband.com, etc. (Although treat them with a pinch of salt - whingers post, satisfied customers rarely do IME)

It does look like IT SOS are having "issues". No website for a start...

Ask for a MAC *now* You'll then have 30 days to make the transition.

If you get a MAC (Migration Access Code), then you should be able to migrate for free. If you don't get one and they terminate the service you may end up in the dreaded "tag on line" scenario where the BT systems think there is still braodband when there really isn't, and you may have to pay the install fee again.

Good luck!

Gordon