Re: [LUG] Slowing down CD/DVD drives?

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 12:09:16 +0100
tom wrote:

> Grant Sewell wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Just about to setup a "Media Centre" type machine (well, recycle an
> > oldish but quiet and powerful-enough machine) and I was having a
> > think...  if watching a DVD on the machine directly (rather than
> > ripping and watching the rip), the DVD drive will be in use during
> > the movie.  Is there a way to slow down the maximum speed a drive
> > can work at?  I don't particularly want it blaring away at 8x
> > unnecessarily so.
> >
> > Cheers.
> > Grant. :)
> >

> IIRC the DVD drive will run as fast as is necessary to dump the data
> from it so slowing it down would cause problems.
> If noise from the DVD is a problem could you put the DVD in another
> machine (in another room) and access it via a fast network
> connection? And then rip the data as you watch just in case you fall
> asleep and feel you may want to re-watch it! Haven't seen a film
> worth watching let alone re-watching for a while now...
> Tom te tom te tom

Alas, that would require at least 2 machines running just to watch a
DVD.  Currently we watch movies on the PS2, and that's too noisey too!

Would a movie being watched in "realtime" (as opposed to being ripped
and played) played at 1x or 2x not be perfectly acceptable?  I was
under the impression that the original DVD players (back when DVD movies
were first introduced) played them at that speed fine.

Grant.