Re: [LUG] Slowing down CD/DVD drives?

Grant Sewell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Just about to setup a "Media Centre" type machine (well, recycle an
> oldish but quiet and powerful-enough machine) and I was having a
> think...  if watching a DVD on the machine directly (rather than
> ripping and watching the rip), the DVD drive will be in use during the
> movie.  Is there a way to slow down the maximum speed a drive can work
> at?  I don't particularly want it blaring away at 8x unnecessarily so.
>
> Cheers.
> Grant. :)

IIRC the DVD drive will run as fast as is necessary to dump the data
from it so slowing it down would cause problems.
If noise from the DVD is a problem could you put the DVD in another
machine (in another room) and access it via a fast network connection?
And then rip the data as you watch just in case you fall asleep and feel
you may want to re-watch it! Haven't seen a film worth watching let
alone re-watching for a while now...
Tom te tom te tom