Re: [LUG] Kubuntu manual

John Hansen wrote:
> Canonical reply to my question about a manual for Kubuntu:
>
> "There is no printed user manual for Ubuntu."
>
> This seems to be a rather poor situation if they want more
> to use their version of Linux.
>
> John W

Well it is and it isn't, the thing you have to bear in mind is that the
distro is constantly evolving with each new release and it would cost a
lot for Canonical to print off copies of the user manual only to have
things change in the next release.

To be honest though, the Windows XP manual is only literally about 10
pages thick.  IIRC the last release of Windows to have anything like a
manual was Windows 95, and even that wasn't as chunky as the old Windows
3.1 manuals.

Even other distros haven't had manuals for a fair while, last ones I can
remember were Red Hat 8 (IIRC it had a manual) and SUSE 6.3.

There are plenty of resources available though such as online help, 3rd
party books from various publishers, mailing lists, forums, magazines.

If you're interested, here are a couple of resources which may be of use...

Ubuntu 8.04 LTS training material:

Student guide -
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Training?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=student.pdf
Instructor guide -
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Training?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=instructor.pdf

Ubuntu Pocket Guide (available free as a PDF or can be purchased as a book):
http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/index_main.html

Doing a search on Amazon for Ubuntu 9.04 also came up with a couple of
books (although I can't vouch for how good they are).

Maybe it's something that has been (or it hasn't been, could be) covered
in the Ubuntu UK podcast?

Rob