Re: [LUG] Symbols included in URLs...

Hi John,

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 03:49:27PM +0000, JOHN DAVEY wrote:
> It wasn't really that which was interesting to me. What this means
> is that I can use a symbol of possibly in future an image as the
> name of the record label I want to start. A bit like when Prince
> changed his name to a symbol. It kind of ligitamises symbols and
> also means I don't have to spend hours trying to think up an
> origional name....

My keyboard doesn't have a TAFKAP symbol on it.  If we assume that
somewhere in Unicode a TAFKAP symbol does exist, and Prince made it
the only way to get to his web site, I don't think I'd be visiting
it since I'd find it very hard to actually type.

So your dreams of having a unique web address I think will not be
realised by this because the reality is that you will still need a
name that people in the English-speaking world can type and put into
search engines.  It would remain a nice gimmick.

The actual use is for sites that have common characters that their
user base can actually type.  Most popular top-level domains already
accept IDN registrations:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internationalized_domain_name

Cheers,
Andy

"SCSI is usually fixed by remembering that it needs three terminations: One at
 each end of the chain. And the goat." -- Andrew McDonald