[LUG] Whoops!

I have an Acer Aspire netbook that was dual booting Ubuntu 9.04 and
XP. I hadn't set up as big a partition for Ubuntu as I meant to so I
decided to delete the Ubuntu partitions and reinstall.

So I screwed up. When I try to start I get a grub error and it hangs.
No matter, I have Ubuntu on a memory stick ready to install - and can
boot from it. When I try to install I don't see my hard drive, just
the memory stick and an SD card that is also plugged in.

My file system is still there and accessible from Ubuntu. Can anybody
advise me how to continue without, I hate to say it, deleting XP.
Ideally restore the ability to boot as an XP system then install
Ubuntu from scratch.

--
Martinus Scriblerus scripsit ex 50º 21' N, 4º41' W