Re: [LUG] Wireless Access Point as a Router?

tom wrote:

> There is (was??) a rule that said for DHCP there should be no more than
> one thing in-between the server and the client
> so DHCP -- ACCESS POINT -- CLIENT should be OK but no hubs or nothing....

Never heard of such a thing.

Having worked with networks where DHCP requests are forwarded to
centralised global DHCP servers, I'm thinking some misunderstanding of
network limitations.

The usual advice was to have DNS and DHCP on each segment simply because
for most networks this gives a reliable configuration which is easy to
understand and troubleshoot. But it is overkill for companies with lots
of small networks and then it makes management harder not easier. Think
hotel chain receptions, supermarkets, chains of shops/travel agents.
i.e. Those places where PCs replaced dumb terminals and probably
shouldn't have ;)