Re: [LUG] Wireless Access Point as a Router?

On Sat, 11 Jul 2009, tom wrote:

> There is (was??) a rule that said for DHCP there should be no more than
> one thing in-between the server and the client
> so DHCP -- ACCESS POINT -- CLIENT should be OK but no hubs or nothing....

Hubs and switches are fine, however routers aren't - well - mostly. DHCP
relies on network broadcasts and traditionally broadcasts don't pass
through routers, however in some cases you can make some broadcasts pass
through some routers, and sometimes it's needed.

I built just such a network many years ago and we were using Cisco
routers, and Cisco handily had a DHCP assist rule (or whatever it was
called) that specifically allowed DHCP broadcast requests to pass through
to a nominated DHCP server on the other side.

Another issue that may not be an issue at all in these enlightened days is
multiple clients behind a single point - some access points (or very
probably client access bridges) will only present their own MAC address to
the DHCP server - this was fixed in DHCP v.3 though and that's been
standard for a long time. I fell foul of this once upon a time when
building a community Wi-Fi network.

But in-general, recycling a router with Wi-Fi as a basic access point
should be straightforward by simply turning off DHCP unless you want it to
act as the DHCP server for the network anyway.

Gordon