Re: [LUG] This ere old bible thingy

tom wrote:

> In fact - without office
> software they must have been completely unproductive. Perhaps cathedrals
> should be re-examined under conspiracy theory rules - they simply cannot
> have existed without several thousands of billions of transistors
> sending pdfs back and forward at the speed of light!

Simon observes that the stone spire on Norwich cathedral was added
(~1480) after the invention of the printing press (~1440). Unlike the
previous spires (wooden), which had a habit of falling down (if you can
call once or twice a century a habit).

So one of our most "complete Norman buildings" is definitely a product
of conspiracy or the modern information era.

They stuck the impressive flying buttresses on about the same time to
support the additional weight.

I think they simplified it somewhat, I mean no electricity conduits, no
significant plumbing, no lifts, no escalators, no fire escapes, limited
foundations, poor drainage, no parking, no gas, poor lighting, and the
kitchens aren't impressive either. And all the ones which were
inadequately built have fallen down - structural engineers refer to this
as the Darwinian school of engineering - so we shouldn't judge only by
those that survive today, and we should factor in rebuilding costs and
maintenance.

For example the North West transept of Ely cathedral hasn't been rebuilt
since it collapsed in 1392.

Worcester had two towers before the current one (one fell, one was
removed for safety reasons in the 14th century).

Salisbury tower still has its scaffolding inside it.

Old Saint Paul's cathedral lost its spire due to a lightening strike 100
years before it burnt down in the Great fire - lightening conductors
came later.

Lincoln cathedral tower fell down in 1548.

Beauvais Cathedral famously had a major collapse during construction
which so upset the masons (presumably only those that didn't die) it
almost never got finished.