Re: [LUG] DMI Error dual boot

On Mon, 6 Jul 2009, kevin wrote:

> HI all,
>
>       I am having trouble with a Foxconn board athlon 64 bios with Dual boot
> Linux and Xp.
>
> I have a Sata disk with Xp on and an IDE with Fedora 11 on
>
> If I remove either of the Disks the system boots up fine.
> With both disks in the system does
> "Varifying DMI data"........
>
> and just stops.

Can you intercept the BIOS at (or before) that point?

If so, then see if it has a clear function - forgotten what it's called,
but some BIOSes have a clear facility to make it re-probe all hardware.

> I have got a MBR on each disk (XP  user wont use grub), and Linux is
> selected from the BIOS boot menu.

Seems tedious - to have to change BIOS every time you want to boot the
other OS - Can't you get grub to auto-boot something, but if you push a
key then give yo a menu so you can select linux? It's do-able in Lilo and
how I treat my laptop (which auto-boots into XP for historical reasons,
but I push shift and select what I want... one drive though)

> Sometimes it works first boot,  sometimes it takes three or four boots
> to start up either OS
> any Ideas?

I'd get the 2-disk thing sorted first of all...

Gordon