Re: [LUG] Hosting a site on my PC.

jon.davey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> ...that's still more expensive than free though, right?
> Jon.

Yes but you have to consider how much it would cost to run a site from
your ADSL connection on your existing PC.  The problem is, leaving a PC
on 24/7 is going to cost you on your electricity bill and it would
probably cost more than hosting, I dare say it would certainly cost more
than £30 a year.  Not to mention if anyone downloads from your site if
it's hosted on an ADSL (or even Cable) connection then it could in
theory slow down your download speeds as if your upload speed is running
at full whack it will affect your download speeds.  You could however
limit the upload speed to say 75% of your connection upload speed.

Also depending on the ISP, you may find that they could block ports
(I've not had any problems with Enta, Virgin, AOL or Easynet but I swear
BT are blocking ports although that could be down to the BT Home Hub).

Maybe another option would be to ask around and see if anyone can spare
some space on their own hosting account and use some sort of URL
redirection.

How much data are you looking at?

Ta,

Rob