From: list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
jon.davey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: 05 July 2009 22:59
To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [LUG] Hosting a site on my PC.

Julian Hall writes:

> Benjamin M. A'Lee wrote:
>> Yes, it�s perfectly possible; there�s no particular reason why you can�t
>> run server software on a desktop (unlike Windows, where you often can�t
>> because of licence stuff).
>>
> Not so in my experience. I've run IIS on Windows 2000 Pro quite happily
> and as it's an internal component to Windows there are no licensing
> issues. That was IIS3 and I believe the current incarnation (Vista et
> al) is IIS 5.
>> No, I wouldn�t particularly recommend it; for a start, ADSL is (as the
>> name suggests) asynchronous � much, much more download than upload
>> bandwidth, so actually serving a site is going to be quite slow and may
>> also interfere with your normal usage.
> Not forgetting your ISP's 'Fair Usage' policy. If they decide that (even
> incoming) traffic to your IP is too heavy they might decide to clobber
> you for it.
> Kind regards,

I'm not expecting masses of traffic. The cheepest offer I could find for
hosting and domain names was around £60.00. Now If I could do the same by
just doing the IP fowarding and other things explaines it works out a lot
cheeper. Yes it will be an interesting learning excercise also but it's
mostly because I can't justify the £60.00 on a website to my wife. Thanks
for the advise about doing this.