Re: [LUG] SMTP 451 error

On Wed, 01 Jul 2009 09:15:09 +0100, Simon Waters <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> grant@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>
>> I'm not sure what's happened here, and I'm struggling to find
>> anything relevant in the logs, but this morning I am getting SMTP 451
>> errors: "451 Temporary local problem - please try later" Well, I
>> tried again later.  And again.  And again.  Still getting the same
>> issues.
>>
>> Curiously I can send mail successfully with the "mail" command, but
>> telnetting to the SMTP service and going through things that way
>> consistently produces these 451 errors.
>>
>> I have tried stopping and restarting the SMTP service to no avail.
>
> Some sort of temporary local problem ;)
>
> Possibly a problem with the DNS if you have some sort of check on
> connecting boxes.
>
> Show us the logs produced.
>
> Are you sending, or delivering email to this server?

Both, actually, but it seems to be the sending that's failing.

The machine retrieves mail from a remote POP machine for each user (ie me)
and stores it in a local Maildir, then served up by IMAP.  It accepts
incoming connections on :25 for outgoing mail.

I would include the logs but can't for the life of me find them!  I know
that sounds silly, but when checking all the logs' timestamps immediately
after I get the 451 error, none of them seem to be any newer.  Not
/var/log/mail* or /var/log/exim4/*.

WRT DNS issues - essentially there are no connecting boxes.  Almost without
exception the only machine I use to send email through this machine is my
laptop, and even then I do so with SSH port forwarding - I have laptop:25
forwarded to server:25, so as far as Exim should be concerned, it is
receiving SMTP traffic from itself.

As I said above, curiously the mail command will send fine.  (I'm sending
this via my Roundcube webmail interface which uses PHPMAIL, so I'd expect
it to work OK).

Any thoughts?