Re: [LUG] Sick hard drive...

Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Jul 2009, tom wrote:
>

>> When my laptop went west a component on the motherboard overheated. It
>> seems to have done something to the hard drive so the hard drive is
>> asking to be initialised. Does anyone know of a way of just kicking its
>> bottom to see it the data is still there on the drive?
>>

> What do you mean by "askingto be initialised"?
>
> What format is(was) it - ext3, ntfs, ?

ext3 I think - its a good 5 years old
Its so long since I worked at this 'low level'
I took it the laptop to the pc shop in Holsworthy and they plugged the
HD into a linux box and said it wanted to be initialised ie formatted -
cant speek MS no more.
ex2fsck is probably what I'm looking for?
Feeling OLD
Tom te tom te tom