Re: [LUG] Sick hard drive...

On Sun, 5 Jul 2009, tom wrote:

> When my laptop went west a component on the motherboard overheated. It
> seems to have done something to the hard drive so the hard drive is
> asking to be initialised. Does anyone know of a way of just kicking its
> bottom to see it the data is still there on the drive?

What do you mean by "askingto be initialised"?

What format is(was) it - ext3, ntfs, ?

It sounds like you're plugging it into a box that's running some sort of
automounter/detector, xxx ... and the default option is to re-format
something it doen't recognise.

This is where (IMO) you need a box with *all* of that turned off and you
need to do it "by hand". So do a surface scan, check the partition table,
see if you can mount it read only, if not, then you need to think about
the fsck options to fix it (assuming ext2/3/4, or the equivalents for
other filesystems)

Good luck..

Gordon