Re: [LUG] email

On Wed, 2009-06-24 at 01:54 +0200, Dan Lewis wrote:
> get your own domain = unlimited email addresses and then just tell the
> domain to forward all incoming mail ending with the domain to gmail
> and set gmail up with multiple send addresses registered and so the
> emails can appear to come from different addresses even if its all in
> one. plus as long as you have a browser access from anywhere
>
> dan
>
> oh and whenever a company asks for an email address eg P&Q ferries you
> can enter pandqferries@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and then should you ever start
> receiving spam sent to there you know they leaked it and you can send
> a bitchy email to them - have a generic one to hand just incase:)
>
> dan
>
> 2009/6/24 Keith Abraham <keith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > Can anyone suggest a good email service provider?
> >
> > My present provider is changing it's business structure with the result
> > that to stay with it would be too costly. Ergo I must find another provider.
> >
> > I have always preferred to keep my email provider separate from my
> > ISP and fortunately no longer need any more than about 3 addresses.
> >
> > Any suggestions anyone?
> >

> > --

Has anyone else run into the problem of an ISP refusing to send out mail
which does not use their own domain? I signed up with thepostoffice, a
very stupid thing to do, and their systems refused to handle anything
not using ***@mypostoffice.com (probably fair enough really), but they
also refused anything I sent using the SMTP server setup by my domain
name host.

I tried to get out of the contract by claiming it was not fit for
purpose, but they said their T&C's ruled out business use and own domain
name = business use.

After much much argument and several shifts up the chain of command I
got a manager who told me, on sort of semi confidential basis, that he
could let me have a mail server address that "would make it look as if
the mail had come from my own address". He then gave me an IP address,
which works fine. It turns out to belong to BT (thepostoffice is
rebadged BT) and its' "role" (as in a whois request) is MANAGED
BROADBAND OPERATIONAL SUPPORT. So is this a server used for testing by
BT engineers or something...?

Simon