Re: [LUG] Acer Aspire One - cheak on ebuyer..

On Wed, 1 Jul 2009, Grant wrote:

> On Wed, 01 Jul 2009 09:26:01 +0100, dave wrote:
>> I paid ?220 for mine a while ago. It is a nice machine. Runs Ubuntu just
>> fine. The 120Gb disk was really 150Gb.
>>
>> Handy notes here https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne but mostly
>> works with a vanilla install. Shame about the junk they ship it with
>> though. It is bound to put people off.

> Much and all as I am opposed to uniformity and the "one distro to rule them
> all" mindset... I do wish the netbook producers would have looked around a
> bit more at the various distros that they could have used.  Sure, a vanilla
> Ubuntu/Debian system may not have been ideal, but surely it would have made
> a better base than "Linpus" or whatever it's called.  It really is an
> off-putting thing for many people.

I've made this point myself - "Linpus Lite" is (a) a stupid name, and (b)
too far from what people are used to to make them think of change...

Even wifey found it frustrating - she's used to Win/XP so when I got mine,
I looked into my favourite distro - Debian, gave it a go, spent half an
hour with xfce4 and gave her a desktop that, while not XP, had a degree of
familiarity to it to make her confortable using it.

So what's really needed is someone to sit-down, produce a pre-canned
version of a distro aimed at "familiarity" more than geekyness...

Preferably the laptop makers as they know what's under the bonnet....

.. but then, they don't really seem that keen on supporting Linux...

Gordon