Re: [LUG] DDR1 memory between 200 and 400mhz, 1GB sticks needed

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009, Max Siegieda wrote:

> just to re-iterate the subject : DDR1 memory between 200 and 400mhz, 1GB
> sticks needed
>
> yet another crazy project is afoot, this time i've gotten somewhat irritated
> with the 2 HDDs sitting ontop of my oil case (which incidentally, i shall
> take more pictures of soon) and i have decided to move to some drives that i
> can store inside the tank. this gives me 2 options: 1) buy an SSD
> 2) buy ram drives (as i can't get enough space out of the ram i can
> install)
>
> option 1 although lucrative, isn't exactly the best option when thought
> about, the drives need constant maintenance to work at full speed, they are
> still experimental and early adopters shall/are slapping themselves. The
> main upside in comparison to the other option is that they are generally of
> large capacity.

OK. I'm re-reading your email...

I've been using flash drives for some years now - like 5 or so. I'm not
slapping myself.

Now, a flash drive isn't an SSD - but what's the difference? Very little
as I can see. SSDs are usually paralleled up internally to give greater
speed - newer ones (and CF/Flash IDE/DOM) now have write wear leveling
too. I've yet to have a flash drive of any kind fail on me.

So tell me what sort of constant maintenance you need to do on the SSDs
you've had experience of (or read about), because I just don't see it
myself.

> option 2 i find to be far more interesting, since the drives themselves will
> last for one heck of a long time, and dont need maintenance, however they
> are much smaller.
>
> I plan to build an array of gigabyte I-RAMs, and use them as the only drives
> in my computer, all extra storage will be provided by network drives. 1
> I-RAM is enough to put my OS on, any more just provide extra space for games
> and so on.

What's an I-RAM ?

This, I presume: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I-RAM

Just don't power it off for more than half a day...

So why not put in a small FlashIDE to bootstrap the box, then have
everything else come over the 'net at Gb speeds from a server somewhere
else... (Which you already seem to have) Just NFS mount it and be done..

4GB Flash IDE:

   http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=12112

SSDs at

   http://linitx.com/viewcategory.php?catid=1011&pp=100,1011

but linitx might not be the cheapest for these...

Gordon