Re: [LUG] Zoom X6 Modem Router - built to last ???

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009, Vivi Griffin wrote:

> We purchased this last August. It has just failed (luckily, within Tesco
> Direct's warranty period so, I can return and get my money back). I was
> quite happy with it until the other day when it just stopped working. Zoom
> routers are quite cheap but, if they only last this long, I won't be buying
> another. I am replacing it with a NetgeaR DG834G.
>
> I mention this in case anyone else is about to buy a new router.

Sounds a bit iffy - I'd hope that even cheap electronics would last a
couple of years - saying that, things I've had go wrong with the cheaper
end has usually been the power supplys. Lost a few 5V adapters for the
Grandstream phones, and 2 internal power convertor boards for some on the
miniATX boxes I've built over the years.

As for the router - I'm sure Netgear is fine - fairly generic features.
The routers I've had most experience of recently have been Draytek ones -
but they're expensive, but do have working traffic shaping which is nice
for VoIP. The only low-end ones I've installed recently has been the
D-Link DSL 2640B. Seems OK for just under 50 quid.

Avoid Belkin if you want VoIP to work - just had a customer throw one
against their wall after being recomended it by someone who thought they
knew better - replaced it with a D-Link and all their phones just sprung
into life...

Gordon