Re: [LUG] Books on databases

Martijn Grooten wrote:
> All,
>
> does anyone have any suggestions for books to read to understand how
> databases really work? I don't mean books that explain various MySQL
> or Oracle commands, but really books that explain the way databases
> (and things such as searches and indexes) really work. I have a
> background in maths, so it is not a problem if it is slightly
> theoretical.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Martijn.

Since you are writing to a Linux list I assume you are talking Linux
here. I spent the last 12 years of my working life as a self employed
creater of databases for small businesses. At the time I was still using
Windows (Borland Paradox if you are interested).

One thing that I have found since moving exclusively to using Linux is
that there is  not yet any program in Linux which is the equivalent of
MS Access or Paradox. Any other type of program has a Linux program to
do the job, but not databases.

Some are getting there slowly, but none is yet at the stage that Paradox
was 18 years ago. I have looked at several again recently and they are
still not there.

I know that you are asking about books, but I am just pointing out that
the so called monolithic type database is not yet ready in Linux. Of
course this may not be important to you, in which case sorry for wasting
your time.

Good luck

Neil Winchurst