Re: [LUG] email

> From: James Fidell <james@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 18:11:12 +0100
> To: <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [LUG] email
>
> Mick Vaites wrote:
>> I'm gobsmacked that you would advocate an ISP dropping a customers email
>> bounces but at the same time wouldn't advise a customer to do it themselves
>> - or am I not reading you right ?
>
> I'm not advocating dropping email at all.  A 4xx is not a drop, it's a
> "please retry later" and as such is a perfectly valid response to a
> deliverable message.

Covered off.

>> Issuing a 4xx puts the responsibility back on the originator of the message
>> to resend the message which may not happen for some time. Whereas the backup
>> MX could have more friendly rules for it's customers on resending - and thus
>> reducing the delay in getting the email to the person.
>
> It could, but it's a small could, and, unless the backup MX can be
> authoritative about its mail delivery, the downside far exceeds the
> benefits.

Yup but an ISP can never be authoritive of a customers mailboxes if the
mailboxes are located on the customers mail server.

>> I take your point about Spammers assuming they are the ones actually sending
>> them mail directly to the MX's. My understanding however is that more and
>> more spam gets sent via Bot's. Which uses a customers ISP's outbound smtp
>> server. We're seeing more and more customers being hit this way.
>
> I'm less than convinced that as a provider of outbound relaying services
> it's sensible to trust your users not to originate spam or messages from
> random sender addresses either.  Plenty of people spam-filter outbound
> messages and rate-limit users (amongst other things) for precisely that
> reason.

Unfortunately customers need to run their business we can only try to
educate them. As for limiting etc if the messages don't get through first
time - they send the batch again - and then complain that it didn't get
through. It's as irritating as customers using a their webspace to run a
bulk mailer but what can you do?

> However, if the intended recipients of such spam messages reject them
> outright at the receiving MX rather than silently dropping them on the
> floor (or, to a certain extent, just generate a 4xx if they can't
> guarantee delivery), then the mail provider is the one whose mail queues
> fill up (and potentially who generates backscatter) and it becomes their
> problem.  That's the right place for the problem to be, because they're
> the ones transmitting the spam for their spam-generating customer, and
> they should bear the cost that entails.

In an ideal world yes.

>> Reference your comments on secondary MX's -- since the advent of ADSL more
>> and more customers are using us as backup MX's or Smart hosts. Principally
>> because the RBL's are picking on the ADSL IP space more and more.
>
> I'm sure there are those who would argue that it's those netblocks
> assigned to ADSL customers where the originator can't be definitively
> identified that generally end up in the RBLs and that there isn't
> usually a problem with well-maintained static assignments (where that
> includes a responsive abuse-management function).  I can't see that
> there's a particularly compelling reason to allow users with dynamic
> address assignments to deliver email directly, I have to admit.

Agreed.