Re: [LUG] Laptop died!

--- On Tue, 23/6/09, Gordon Henderson <gordon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: Gordon Henderson <gordon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [LUG] Laptop died!
> To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Date: Tuesday, 23 June, 2009, 11:43 AM
> On Tue, 23 Jun 2009, tom potts
> wrote:
>
> > My laptop - my 'main' machine just died - no lights
> when power turned on!
> > Any good diagnostic sites so I can try and fix it
> myself?
>
> Remove power. Take battery out. Wait a minute or 2. Connect
> to mains
> without battery and see if it'll power up.
been there, done that, cried.

> And that's about it without taking the lid off ....
>
> > Also discovered backups have not been working - was a
> simple copy of ~
> > only directory tree re-created. This is stored on a
> NTFS external drive
> > - its not that is it? Cant access logs to check!
>
> Well done on keeping a backup, but I have little sympathy
> for people who
> don't actually check that their backup is working...
I agree there - I had it working to a NFS share and then when I got the external
drive (for use with MS machines as well) I just pointed it there!
I may have deleted something by accident - the the directory structure was being
updated  and and and..

> But NTFS? Why on earth were you backing up a Linux laptop
> to an NTFS
> drive? If you must backup to an alien format, then use tar
> or cpio (or
> even dump!) so you end up with just one file for it to wory
> about.

> If the latop stays dead, there is every chance the data is
> still OK on
> it's internal drive, so you might need to extract that and
> connect it to
> another box to retrieve the data. You may need a 44 to
> 40-pin adapter
> unit, but these are easy to find, and if you've not 100%
> sure what you're
> doing, paying/bribing/plying with beer/cider and cury,
> someone who does
> know would be strongly recomended.
I'm off down town in the missuses car - I've just got rid of mine so no chance of a
long drive to fetch a very generously offered IDE connector - to see if I can find
one else I might have to beg a posting..
Tom te tom te tom