Re: [LUG] Laptop died!

Rob Beard wrote:
> tom potts wrote:
>
>> My laptop - my 'main' machine just died - no lights when power turned on!
>> Any good diagnostic sites so I can try and fix it myself?
>>
>> Also discovered backups have not been working - was a simple copy of ~ only
>> directory tree re-created. This is stored on a NTFS external drive - its not that
>> is it? Cant access logs to check!
>> Tom te tom te tom in disguise!
>>

> Can't think of any sites off the top of my head, have you tried removing
> the battery and just powering up from the power supply?
>
> If all else fails I'm sure someone on the LUG will be able to help get
> your data off the drive (I have a cable to attach a 2.5" IDE hard drive
> to a standard desktop IDE port which you could borrow if you get really
> stuck, or if you're lucky and it's an SATA drive you can just use a
> standard SATA power and data connection from a desktop PC).
>
> Ta,
>
> Rob

hi,when you open the screen there is a small knob on the bottom of the
screen bezel which pushes a switch down when when lid closes.
i have had the switch get dirty and stick on a couple of laptops before
and would not switch on.
this is a wild stab in the dark,but you might be lucky.
cheers alex the noob