Re: [LUG] Opinions on Bacula?

Quoting Grant Sewell <dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Hi all,
>
> Interested in a network backup solution with Windows (SBS2008) as a
> client machine.  Have looked into Bacula and it seems OK to me.  What
> are your opinions on it?  Any horror stories?  Etc, etc.
>
> Cheers.
> Grant. :)

I've used it in the past and for backing up to tapes etc it rocks
although it can be a bit complicated owing to the master/slave/file
daemon situation.

If you want to backup to disk and you can use SMB/CIFS or rsync, then
I'd check out backupPc.  Don't let the title fool you, it works
incredibly well for servers and gives you a really nice web-gui to
restore from.

BackupPC also allows you to restore back to the original machine, to
another machine on the network, to another path on the original
machine or download as a file or zip/tgz.  In short, it rocks.

http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/

M.
--
Matthew Macdonald-Wallace