[LUG] Advice on wireless strength

Hi All,

I've uploaded a (rough) plan of my house with the placement of the
router shown to my webspace:

http://www.kaotic.co.uk/house_layout.jpg

Essentially I live in a brick-built dormer bungalow with cavity wall
insulation in the outer walls.  I'm in a wheelchair so my bedroom is
downstairs next to my bathroom at the front of the house.  The problem
is that in my bedroom (surprise!) I get excellent signal strength.
However by the time I take my laptop out the back garden (outside the
conservatory roughly 30-40 feet or so in a straight line) I get very
weak strength to the point the laptop can't resolve an IP off the
router's DHCP server.  Previously I had a laptop with a Netgear PCMCIA
card which worked very well with a Netgear FWG114P router at the same
distance - obvious really as they were the same manufacturer.

The current hardware is an Edimax BR6215SRg router and both laptops in
use have built-in wireless cards.

The wall the router is shown against has a wardrobe, and I'm wondering
if an external aerial on top of the wardrobe would extend the range
enough to give me a decent signal.

Any advice gratefully received :)

Kind regards,

Julian